It is not the strongest of the species that survives, not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change
~ Charles Darwin
Thriving Through Change
Change is happening faster today than most companies would like to admit. Fundamental market shifts driven by new technologies, blurring boundaries, and shifting workforce and consumer demographics have significant implications for the way a company operates within today’s volatile setting of increasing geopolitical uncertainty.
A company’s ability to adapt to the rapidity and scale of change is often hampered by legacy models of management, human talent sourcing and development, organizational design, portfolio and process methodologies, and technology.
We work with clients to develop innovative future facing capabilities that make their organizations more adaptive and increase overall business velocity while more effectively delivering today’s mission-critical requirements.
Dynamic Social Networks Complement Processes and Projects to Enhance Enterprise Execution
“The fundamental tenets specifying the relationships, interactions, and possibilities of most businesses are rapidly blurring and dissolving”
Source: “Business boundaries blur as ecosystems evolve,” WSJ, May 25, 2015
Technology innovation is accelerating the blurring of all boundaries
- Geographical (e.g., globalization)
- Industry (e.g., Apple in handsets and music, Amazon in retail and web services, Airbnb in hospitality)
- Within the enterprise (e.g., Go-to-Market, Supply Chain, Digital Transformation)
Accelerating Technological Innovation
“90% of executives believe their businesses are being disrupted or reinvented by digital business models, and 70% believe they do not have the right skills, leader, or operating structure to adapt”
Source: “Digital Leadership Is Not an Optional Part of Begin a CEO,” MITSloan Management Review, December 2016 based on interviews of 1,000 CEOs
Digital is disruptive and is changing everything (e.g., Cloud, Big Data, IoT, Social Business, Mobile, Consumerization of IT, Machine Learning/AI, Robotics, Genetics, 3D Printing).
Digital is pervasive and disruptive. Many companies struggle for lack of an effective process to guide and support their transition.
Shifting Workplace & Consumer Demographics
- 66% expect to leave by 2020
- 63% feel underutilized
- Prioritize sense of purpose over growth/profit
- Prioritize work/life balance over career progression
Boomers: are departing with their tacit knowledge
Source: “The 2016 Deloitte Millennial Survey, Winning over the next generation of leaders”
Changing workforce demographics create talent sourcing challenges and cognitive deficits. For example, high potential Millennials and Gen Z’s – our job and career mobile future business leaders – many of whom would rather work in purpose-driven startups, early stage companies, or scaled NewCo’s like Facebook, Google, Airbnb etc. This Millennial talent drain occurring while Baby Boomers are leaving and taking their expertise with them.
Business Model Transition
“Half of the S&P 500 companies are expected to be replaced over the next 10 years”
Some Requirements of Enhanced Enterprise Execution include
- Create horizontal interoperability
- Support dynamic budgeting and resource allocation
- Leverage digital transformation
- Encourage innovation for directed- & self-directed work
- Manage both core-processes and disruption teams
- Build adaptive capabilities
- Community management
- Community supported, strategically prioritized experiential learning
- Future of work practices
- Defined improvement platforms
- Transition to Agile, Lean work modalities
Accelerate Business Velocity & Build Adaptive Capabilities
Accelerating both velocity and adaptability requires an evolutionary approach to leverage the strength and resources of your existing organization, while ensuring the ability to rapidly sense changes in the environment and communicate insights to support an adaptive response.
Creating Enhanced Enterprise Execution builds on your existing process and project capabilities by reinforcing informal networks to create a Dynamic Social Network. Integrating all three elements of execution will result in three key benefits
- Faster- Broader stakeholder involvement: accelerates concept to completion
- Better- Creates access to more expertise to design, build and test
- Cheaper- On demand resources, rapid response, asynchronous capabilities
Our focus on business outcomes is relentless with meta business outcomes targeting growth and productivity.
Dynamic Social Networks
Enhanced Enterprise Execution is driven by sensing changes in the competitive environment, rapidly adapting to create a response. Given the increased complexity of today’s environment – accelerating change on almost every front and new requirements for increased speed – most corporations need to make significant adjustments to their core operating models.
Building next generation of Enhanced Enterprise Execution capability requires balancing the following five elements of a dynamic social network integrated with projects and processes:
- Formalize your informal networks to accomplish strategically complex, focused work, while preparing the broader organization for the future.
- Practice network leadership to ensure direction, knock down barriers and commit resources for monthly periods of time (sprints) and provide an example of walking-the-talk.
- Manage through a dual operating system to warrant the focused work is accomplished and the organization remains efficient
- Engage the workforce to resource strategic initiatives, to accelerate workforce by-in and involvement, and to begin to build future of work capabilities.
- Catalyze learning-led innovation against a vision of a high performance organization including leadership, culture and management, directed activity and self-directed capabilities.